The Bioinformatics Open Source Conference is held annually (as a satellite of the ISCB's annual ISMB conference) to promote and facilitate open source development of bioinformatics tools. The aims of the conferences are to:
- Provide developers with a forum for displaying the results of their development efforts to the wider research community;
- Provide a focused environment for developers and users to interact and share ideas about software development, and practical techniques in bioinformatics;
- Inform the Research Community of important developments occurring within the Open Source Bioinformatics Developer community.
BOSC meetings to date:
- BOSC 2014 Boston, MA USA -- the upcoming Upcoming BOSC conference.
- BOSC 2013 Berlin, Germany
- BOSC 2012 Long Beach, CA, USA
- BOSC 2011 Vienna, Austria
- BOSC 2010 Boston, MA USA
- BOSC 2009 Stockholm, Sweden
- BOSC 2008 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- BOSC 2007 Vienna, Austria
- BOSC 2006 Fortaleza, Brasil
- BOSC 2005 Detroit, MI USA
- BOSC 2004 Glasgow, UK
- BOSC 2003 Brisbane, Australia
- BOSC 2002 Edmonton, Canada
- BOSC 2001 Copenhagen, Denmark
- BOSC 2000 San Diego, CA USA
In recent years the BOSC meetings have been preceded by a two day Codefest, an informal developer meeting.