Google Summer of Code 2018 wrap-up
We have recently applied to Google for the OBF to be part of the Google Summer of Code 2019 programme, again with Kai Blin and Michael Crusoe as joint administrators. Last year, OBF GSoC 2018, was another good year with five students successfully completing their projects:
- Synchon Mandal (mentor Moritz Beber) “Adding methods to cobrapy for improved constraint-based metabolic modelling.” (first blog bost; final report)
- Sophia Mersmann (mentors Oliver Alka, Julianus Pfeuffer, and Timo Sachsenberg) “Improve Posterior Error Probability Estimation For Peptide Search Engine Results” (blog posts; final report)
- Edgar Garriga Nogales (mentors Paolo Di Tommaso, Michael R. Crusoe, and Stian Soiland-Reyes) “Implement the support for Research Object specification into Nextflow framework” (repository; homepage; final report).
- Sarthak Sehgal (mentors Yo Yehudi, Dennis Schwartz, and Rowland Mosbergen) “Frontend Website Student Project for BioJS” (repository; blog posts; final report).
- Megh Thakkar (mentors Yo Yehudi, Dennis Schwartz, and Rowland Mosbergen) “Backend Website Student Project for BioJS” (repository; blog posts; final report).
In some cases there isn’t a single code repository to link to, rather their work included pull requests to the main project etc.
Thank you to all our volunteer GSoC administrators and mentors – and of course thank you to the students – we hope you’ll continue to work in bioinformatics and/or open source.