BOSC 2024 (the 25th annual Bioinformatics Open Source Conference) will take place July 15-16, 2024, as part of ISMB 2024, in Montréal, Canada and online.
BOSC 2023 was part of ISMB/ECCB 2023 in Lyon, France.
- Approx. March 21, 2024: Early Poster Acceptance submission deadline
- Approx. April 10: Regular abstract submission deadline (talks and posters)
- Approx. May 10: Late poster submission deadline
- July 12-16, 2024: ISMB 2024 (Montréal, Canada and online)
- July 15-16, 2024: BOSC 2024 (part of ISMB)
- July 17-18: Post-BOSC CollaborationFest
- Open Science and Reproducible Research
- Open Biomedical Data
- Citizen/Participatory Science
- Standards and Interoperability
- Data Science
- Data Access and Visualization
- Translational Bioinformatics
- Developer Tools and Libraries
- Inclusion, Outreach and Training
Registration and Financial Assistance
To participate in BOSC 2024, you will need to register for ISMB 2024. Those who submit abstracts can request a fee waiver on the submission form. We also encourage participants to apply for an Open Bioinformatics Foundation Event Award.
Sponsorships from companies and non-profit organizations help to defray some of our costs and support our diversity/inclusion efforts. Thanks to our sponsors, we were able to grant free registration to 15 participants at BOSC 2023, offer honoraria to keynote speakers, and cover other expenses.
If you’re interested in sponsoring BOSC 2024, please see our sponsors page!
BOSC 2023 Platinum Sponsor: Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
BOSC 2023 Silver Sponsors
BOSC 2024 Organizing Committee
Chair: Nomi L. Harris (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
- Karsten Hokamp (Trinity College Dublin)
- Jason Williams (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory)
- Jessica Maia (BD)
- Hervé Ménager (Institut Pasteur)
- Deepak Unni (SIB, Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics)
- Radhika Khetani (Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health)
- Monica Munoz-Torres (University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus)
- Swapnil Sawant (Phoenix Bioinformatics)
The Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC) has been held annually since 2000. BOSC is organized by the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF), a non-profit group dedicated to promoting the practice and philosophy of open source software development and open science within the biological research community.
Since its inception, BOSC has provided a forum for developers and users to interact and share research results and ideas in open source bioinformatics. BOSC’s broad spectrum of topics includes practical techniques for solving bioinformatics problems; software development practices; standards and ontologies; approaches that promote open science and sharing of data, results and software; and ways to grow open source communities while promoting diversity within them.
BOSC is usually preceded or followed by what we now call CollaborationFest (CoFest for short), a two-day community development session. This is an opportunity for anyone interested in open science, biology and programming to meet, talk and work collaboratively. All are welcome to attend CoFest, whether or not you attend BOSC!
Code of Conduct
As part of ISMB 2024, BOSC 2024 will be covered by the ISCB Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.