What is BOSC?
BOSC is an annual meeting organized by the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF), a non-profit, volunteer-run group dedicated to promoting the practice and philosophy of Open Source software development and Open Science within the biological research community.
Most years, BOSC has been part of the Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology meeting (ISMB/ECCB). In 2018, BOSC partnered with the Galaxy Community Conference (GCC) in a very successful joint meeting in Portland. In July 2020, BOSC will once again join forces with GCC to form the new Bioinformatics Community Conference (BCC2020) in Toronto, Canada.
BOSC includes talks, poster sessions, birds-of-a-feather gatherings, and lots of opportunities for networking. It is followed by collaborative working sessions at the CollaborationFest. These events bring together software engineers, bioinformaticians, and researchers to collaborate and extend open source bioinformatics tools.
BOSC participants come from a wide variety of research environments and backgrounds:
- Biological researchers, students, and post-docs who are learning bioinformatics analysis tools and techniques
- Power bioinformatics users
- Bioinformatics tool and workflow developers
- Bioinformatics-focused principal investigators and researchers
- Sequencing core facility staff
- Industry scientists and bioinformaticians
- Data producers
The OBF has organized BOSC every year since 2000. From 2000 to 2017, BOSC was run as part of the large ISMB conference; in 2018 it partnered with the Galaxy Community Conference. In 2019 BOSC returns to ISMB. The OBF CodeFests (now renamed CollaborationFest, or CoFest) have been held every year after BOSC since 2010.
The table below shows the approximate number of participants in BOSC and the CoFest. Figures for the CoFest and BOSC are number of people registered for at least one day of the meeting. The BOSC figures do not include drop-in attendees from the parallel sessions organized by other groups. The figures for CoFest do not include remote participants.
|Year||Location||BOSC Participants||CoFest Participants|
|2018||Portland, OR, USA||150||100|
|2017||Prague, Czech Republic||230||65|
|2016||Orlando, FL, USA||90||36|
|2014||Boston, MA, USA||100||60|
|2012||Long Beach, CA, USA||100||13|
We gratefully accept sponsorships from private companies and organizations. In the past these sponsorships have enabled us to
- offer free registration to some BOSC speakers to lower the financial barrier of their attendance
- support the Travel Fellowship program of the OBF, increasing participation from groups otherwise underrepresented in the community
- provide child care at the event
- underwrite the cost of conference events such as dinners or refreshments at poster sessions
- help defray the cost of videography
- provide space and catering at the CoFest
We ask sponsors for a minimum donation of $1,000 to support BOSC or $500 to support the CoFest. Sponsors can decide to support one or the other or both. We are happy to accept sponsorship at higher levels, and can discuss with you the concomitant benefits. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
BOSC 2019 Sponsors
CodeFest 2019 Sponsors
Past Sponsors of OBF/BOSC events:
Past CoFest Sponsors:
Benefits of Sponsorship
We acknowledge our sponsors before, during and after the event in multiple ways:
- We list our sponsors on the BOSC website
- Sponsors are thanked and named in the introduction/closing slides during the meeting
- We show the sponsor logos on large BOSC posters displayed outside the meeting room and in the poster area
- The sponsors are thanked in selected emails to our mailing list, tweets and blog posts (with your logo) that go out before, during and after the event
- The sponsors are listed in our published reports after the meeting, e.g., https://f1000research.com/articles/7-1309/v1
- We are open to discussing specific requests, such as distributing stickers or leaflets, or earmarking the sponsorship for a specific activity.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact us at email@example.com!