|Please visit our ***NEW*** OBF/BOSC website: https://www.open-bio.org/|
BOSC Abstract Submission
The deadline for submitting abstracts for full BOSC talks was April 13, 2017.
However, you have a chance to submit an abstract to be considered for a late-breaking lightning talks or poster until June 5. Please be aware that we have very few spots available for LBLTs. LBLTs will be grouped together in one short session (it is too late to fit them into topic-centered sessions).
Click here to submit your abstract for a late-breaking lightning talks or poster!
- April 13, 2017: Deadline for submitting abstracts for full talks
- May 11, 2017: Acceptance notification
- May 16, 2017: Deadline for authors to respond to May 11 notification
- June 5, 2017: Deadline for submitting abstracts for late-breaking lightning talks and/or late posters
- June 12, 2017: Late-breaking lightning talk/poster acceptance notification
- June 15, 2017: Deadline for authors to respond to late-breaking lightning talk/poster acceptance notification
- July 22-23, 2017: BOSC 2017, Prague
- July 21-25: Combined ISMB/EECB/COSI meeting
BOSC covers all aspects of open source bioinformatics software and open biomedical science and data. Work discussed in BOSC presentations must be open source, with a recognized open source license and an URL for accessing your code. We look for impact of the work in building or sustaining open source communities.
We are happy to consider abstracts describing work that has already been published or presented elsewhere, but we ask you to mention that on the submission form. Work that has been presented at a recent BOSC will need to demonstrate significant progress in order to be eligible for a talk at BOSC 2017.
Abstract Formatting Requirements
Abstracts must be one page (8.5 inches by 11 inches or A4) in length and submitted as a PDF file. Your one-page abstract is welcome to include any figures or graphics that will fit; however, we cannot accept figures on additional page(s).
You may wish to use one of these abstract templates:
- PDF (not fillable)
- Markdown to PDF (convert with pandoc and LaTeX)
- Word (.doc)
- Word (.docx)
- Example BOSC abstract using LaTeX
Please use one of the provided templates or format your abstract as follows:
- Use 1 inch (2.5 cm) margins on the top, sides, and bottom of the page.
- Include the following pieces of information in order from the top of the page:
- Authors, with the presenting author's name underlined.
- Author affiliations, including the e-mail address of the presenting author.
- URL for the overall project web site
- URL for accessing the code
- The particular Open Source License being used
- The abstracts will be collated "as is" in the program booklet; please help your all-volunteer Organizing Committee by following the formatting guidelines above.
To be considered for acceptance, software systems representing the central topic in a presentation submitted to BOSC must be licensed with a recognized Open Source License, and be freely available for download in source code form. Please see the next section for more information.
BOSC Open Source License Requirement
The Open Bioinformatics Foundation, which sponsors BOSC, is dedicated to promoting the practice and philosophy of Open Source Software Development within the biological research community. For this reason, if a submitted abstract concerns a specific software system for use by the research community, then that software must be licensed with a recognized Open Source License, and be available for download, including source code, by a tar/zip file accessed through ftp/http or through a widely used version control system like cvs/subversion/git/bazaar/Mercurial.
See the following websites for further information:
Open Bioinformatics Foundation Travel Fellowships
The OBF Travel Fellowship program is aimed at increasing diverse participation at events promoting open source bioinformatics software development and open science in the biological research community. The fellowship can be used to cover airfare, hotel and / or conference registration fees up to a value of USD 1,000. BOSC speakers are welcome to apply for a fellowship. The deadline for applying is April 15 (two days after the BOSC abstract deadline).
Code of Conduct
In March 2015, ISMB published a Code of Conduct that applies to SIGs (including BOSC) as well as the main ISMB/ECCB meeting.